Built in 1452 by Sultan Mehmet II prior to the conquest of Istanbul, his aim was to block any possible sea support which might have come from the Black Sea to assist the flailing Byzantines. Therefore, it was to be situated on the narrowest point of the Bosphorus strait, facing another smaller fortress already erected on the Asian side. The construction work finished after 4 months and 19 days. Now it serves as a museum, displaying the canons that were used during the conquest. There is also an outdoor mini-amphi-theater used during the various music festivals in Istanbul.

IST3_043.JPG (89997 bytes) IST3_046.JPG (143501 bytes) IST3_047.JPG (148478 bytes) IST3_050.JPG (147501 bytes) IST3_051.JPG (126304 bytes) IST3_052.JPG (140576 bytes) IST3_053.JPG (127295 bytes) IST3_054.JPG (191681 bytes) IST3_055.JPG (149183 bytes) IST3_056.JPG (124305 bytes) IST3_057.JPG (161982 bytes)